Tuesday, April 11, 2006

youngin's

Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these (Matthew 19:14).

I love little kids. There's something about watching a little one run around laughing, fascinated by everything they see, that brings a huge smile to my face. They are so interesting to watch. Whenever they touch something, it's quite possibly the greatest thing they have ever touched... until they discover something else. Without knowing it, they're so passionate about everything around them; they want to know it all, touch it all, play with it all, taste it all. They long to discover everything in the world.

Children depend on their mom and dad to show them things, to grow, to develop. They trust their mom and dad... they believe everything that their mom or dad tells them. They have faith. God calls us to have child-like faith. Paul called Titus his "true child in the faith we share." Faith of a child. Why? Because children truly believe what you tell them. They can't analyze or question... they trust their parent and even believe in the unseen. Yes, it's good to question, but often times as believers we fall too far into that hole then we should. God says He will provide, protect, and love. Why can't we just believe it and not need physical evidence? A child doesn't need evidence; they just believe. What has happened to the child within us? The trust we used to have in God? Our child-like faith?

This past weekend I was at my usual homework spot, Java G's, where the cutest little blond boy walked in with his mom. He sported some shades a tad too big for his little face, and right away become fixated on everything around him. For about 45 minutes, I sat in awe of this child. He ran from one thing to another, attempting to grasp all that he could with his little hands. He mimicked the people around him. He talked to himself (in his own language or course). He acted like a child.

It was beautiful.

This made me think about how I can't wait to be a mom. I'm definitely not ready to be a mom, but I'm way excited. And quite honestly, I think that I'm going to do a good job at it. The idea of raising kids, with God as the center, brings a lot of joy to my heart. It's really going to be exciting to be married to an incredible man of God, and partner with him in raising our children to be Godly men or women.

So I end with this... go be a kid. Roll around in some dirt. Jump in a lake. Be fascinated with everything your eyes meet. Laugh at everything. Run around flailing your arms.

Be free.

Have faith like a child.

No comments: