Sunday, April 16, 2006

On the Road

I hope you get where you're going, and be happy where you do. Jack Kerouac

I'm currently reading On the Road by Jack Kerouac. Only about a third of the way through, I'm already inspired. I like this book a lot. It reminds me of Jesus. No... this book isn't about Jesus and it certainly wouldn't be located under the "Christian" section at your local Barnes & Noble, but I can't help think about the Christ. This dude, Jack, back in the 1950's took a little road trip with a buddy of his from their home on the east coast, to L.A. Along the way, they run into all sorts of different people, learn about themselves, and learn about the different scenes they find themselves in. There is a whole different world outside of their home town.

For about a year now, I've had this dream of doing this... minus the hitch hiking and getting drunk part. The LORD has added a little spice to the vision He's given me. I'd be heading out, specifically to love people, just like Jesus did. He traveled around, pouring His love out to everyone He came in contact with. If money and commitments weren't a barrier [right now], I'd pack up my little stratus tonight, get out my United States Atlas, and head for... everywhere.

Walk into the poorest of poorest nieghborhoods to share Jesus. Drive into the richest of the richest nieghborhoods to do the exact same thing... share about my King. Sit down at the counter of a diner and talk to my waitress [or waiter] about the Father. Make myself comfortable on a park bench next to someone waiting for the bus specifically to tell them how much they are loved. Visit a random church along my way and pray for the young girl who's eyes are filled with tears; because I know that Yeshua would have comforted her.

My hearts aches to meet people. That burning desire just became so much more clear to me over the past couple of weeks as the LORD has been flooding my life with new faces and friendships. He's been good. Amongst some pain and heartache, He's reminded me of His children; He's opened up my heart more to seeking after and building beautiful relationships with Him as the center. Not that I haven't done that in the past; it's just different now... and I can't quite explain it.

These new friends have been a blessing that I never saw coming. Both believers, and non. And I've been touched and challenged by each and every one of them. They've all, without knowing it, helped with healing that is taking place, and encourage me to live my life more and more for Christ. One in particular (you know who are K.D.) has given me a whole new look on how to live for God and how to worship Him in my darkest hours. She encourages me in ways I can't even describe. Her wisdom is truly from the Father; when she opens her mouth to speak, all I can hear and see is Him flowing out from within her. The LORD allowed us to randomly meet at the perfect time. He's good like that. I pray that I've been half as much the blessing to her that she has been to me.

My point?... People. I want to go meet people. I want to go meet people where they're at. If they're not going to go to church, then let me bring church to them. If they're in church, allow me to join them. Let me walk with God in meeting them under that bridge... in that bar... at that park... at that tattoo parlor... in that coffee house... on that mountain... on that bike trail... at that gas station...

God made me so He could use me. And I can only pray that He uses me, just as He has used these new friends of mine to touch my life. I know I don't need to leave Des Moines to meet Christians and non Christians, but traveling to do this has definitely been something growing deep within my heart for a year now. To travel for months, even a year, with the goal of building incredible relationships with God as the guide... to be encouraging to people... to challenge people... that's how I desire to be used. If I could know that I've made one person feel loved and encouraged with Jesus's love, then I know I've done at least something right.

I'm currently on the road...

but we'll see if He calls me to a bigger road sometime in the future.

No comments: