Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Music is Wonderful

I love music. A lot actually.

I found out the other day that one of my all time favorite bands no longer exists. And no, I'm not talking about the ridiculously amazing and fabulous *NSYNC; they ended things a few years back, which, by the way, still has left my heart a bit broken... but thats a different story for another time. I'm referring to the wonderful Juliana Theory. In my opinion, they have [or should I say had] enormous talent. Their lyrics always pulled me in, their sound struck my soul (if that makes any sense), their live performances always blew me away. But no longer will I be able to anxiously await a new song, or CD, or concert of my beloved J.Theory. This is a sad day for me.

After hearing this news, I was kicking myself a bit... they were actually in Des Moines not too long ago (which is rare; they never come to Iowa), but I didn't go simply because no one knew who they were and wanted to go. Ugh... never again.

I apologize ahead of time if you're not one who likes to read lyrics or if you don't like music in general [which I find wrong... and I encourage you to stop reading this post now because the rest is all going to be about the sound], but below are the lyrics to one of my favorite J.Theory songs; The Shell of a Man. If you would rather not read, then feel free to continue scrolling down...

I won't nurture, and feed this bitterness
It's worth it, seen any of this
Love and forgiveness
Our time is and true
I know you're full of fear
I hope I'm never like you

I won't nurture, and feed this hate
It's empty and doesn't change a thing
Love will endure when it comes to the end
I see you're insecure
I know there's hope for you

Why can't I let go?
I'm only the shell of a man
I'm lost in myself
And afraid of who I really am
The shell of a man

I won't nurture, and feed hostility
It's pointless to dwell on my anger
Love is the answer innate as it seems
I know you're full of hate
I hope I'm never the same

I won't nurture, and feed this hate
Imagine the magnitude of
Love that is giving the chance to prevail
I see you're full of tears
And I can sense you're here

Why can't I let go?
I'm only the shell of a man
I'm lost in myself
And afraid of who I really am
The shell of a man

Take what you want to
Now that you got the chance to
Take it, why don't you?
Now that you got the chance to [x2]

Why can't I let go?
I'm only the shell of a man
I'm lost in myself
And afraid of who I really am
The shell of a man

Why can't I let go?
I'm only the shell of a man
I'm lost in myself
And afraid of who I really am
The shell of a man

On the other hand, some good news... if you don't have the new Mute Math CD, I highly recommend it. Finally after [I think] two years, they've released their first full length album, and might I say, it's phenomenal. Their usage of homemade instruments and crazy solo breakouts are awesome. Plus, I just love the fact that Mr. Paul Meany, lead singer/keyboardist, plays the keytar. Not to mention, their lyrics are real, honest, and I can't help but inhale God's breath every time their sound starts streaming out from my iPod.

So now is when I promote a few bands/artists that I feel are worth checking out; both known and not very famous at all; some still creating glorious sounds and some who have [sadly] called it quits.

Dispatch (RIP) - Rock/Reggae
Braddigan (former member of Dispatch) - Similar to Dispatch; Acoustic/Rock/Reggae
Underoath - "Screamo/Rock/Alternative"
Farewell to Ashlyn - a friend of mine Steve sings and plays guitar in this band; they reside in wonderful Kansas
Justin McRoberts - Indie, mixed with folk rock/acoustic; real lyrics
Edwin McCain - An oldie (back from middle school days), but definitely a goodie... if any guys voice makes me swoon, he'd be one of 'em; Rock/Blues
Jimmy Eat World - Phenomenal... rock/alternative
Nickel Creek - "fuse and personalize a wide array of styles with uncommon vigor and elan"
The Postal Service - Electronic/Awesome

My list could go on....

Enjoy. Smile. Listen to music. Know God.

Be blessed.

No comments: