Tuesday, September 27, 2005

the cavender clan

my family is amazing.

they're weird, crazy, funny, ridiculous, and huge dorks... and i love it.

tonight i got a phone call from the whole crew; denny, gail, amanda, and bethy. they thought it'd be funny to call me while they sat around the dinner table eating dinner, and put me on speaker phone.us cavender's, are classy folks... my mom spent the whole day slaving behind a hot stove cooking macaroni & cheese and hot dogs for everyone. i love that my mom made macaroni & cheese and hot dogs for family dinner... that freaking rocks.

being put on speaker phone for the 30 minutes that i was brought me back to our family dinners we used to have when i was living at home. there was never a moment that someone wasn't laughing. i could hear my little sister snorting, and her food flying out of her mouth as she laughed. which then trigered a mental picture of amanda falling out of her chair, laughing silently trying to catch her breath. my moms eyes squinted shut trying not to cry from laughing so hard. i could picture them sitting there, seeing who could eat all their macaroni first without using their hands... the best is when my dad jumps in. food'll be hanging from his face, he'll know it, but he'll pretend like it's not there. classic denny.

the burping contests have to be the best... though i always lose, they make me laugh.

a couple weeks ago amanda gave me a "family update":

"mom's getting mommier, dad's getting weirder, and bethy's getting sassier."

tonight i could actually see these changes. i guess the other day, my dad ambushed my sister with water balloons for no reason. he just found some water balloons in the house, filled them up himself, waited outside for her to come home from work, and then chased her down, throwing as he could.

i just began to see these changes, though it all started a few years back... my mom emails me daily, calls me to see if i got her emails daily, leaves me 5 minute long messages daily... my dad decided to buy a 1960 tbird off of ebay, which then led to buying a house in colorado just for kicks, which then led him to almost buying 100 acres of land... my younger sister became an "upperclassman", she hangs out with her friends all the time, and uses sarcasm like it's her job. as for amanda... she's getting married... other then that, i think she's the only sane one in the house... maybe.

jokes were flying left and right over the phone... i wish i could have recorded this classic cavender moment.

i share all this because i love how insane and spontaneous my family is. i almost forgot how much fun i have when i'm with them; even if it is just over the phone.

pound it sistas.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

And isn't it great to know that you don't even have to be in the same room to enjoy your family just the same :)

Anonymous said...

yeah, you know... WE CAVENDER'S EFFING ROCK! sorry im so sassy and i hang with my friends all the time. that's just who i am. ooh sad. anyways, yeah. toodles