Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Your mission, if you chose to accept it...


A number of months ago, the Lord placed the book of Joshua on my heart. As I read, I became fascinated by the challenge God handed to a young man who was considered "ordinary". I was reminded of the people in my life. I saw many of friends as a "Joshua"; I could see the Lord moving and preparing to turn His ordinary children into mighty warriors.

Last week He asked me once again to look at Joshua, specifically Joshua 1:9.

"This is my command - be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go."

A Great and Mighty transition has begun.

I was talking with a friend a couple of nights ago about how it seems everyone in our lives right now are going through radical transition. He said, and I quote, "There is too much going on with too many of our friends for it all to be a coincidence."

No doubt.

When God called Joshua to be the one to lead the Israelites into the land that the He had promised them years before, Joshua's whole life changed. An ordinary (and unlikely) boy became a huge part of the Almighty's plan.

You can image the fear that Joshua must have felt... I imagine him just hanging out at home, maybe tending to the cows or something, and God audibly saying to him, "Hey Joshua... so, since Moses is now dead, I'm going to have you take over and lead the Israelites the rest of the way... sound good?" Oh man...

Joshua was called to live higher. Joshua was called to live radically. Joshua was called to change the world.

I have a handful of friends who I see falling into the same situation as Joshua found himself in, along with myself. Maybe we aren't taking charge of a complete nation and leading them into a new land, but we are being handed specific groups of people to lead towards Christ. And it isn't just a "whenever you feel like it" type thing, but a complete lifestyle change.

Moving, leaving current jobs, walking away from volunteer positions, ending unhealthy or distracting relationships... all in order to focus solely on leading the Israelites of our day.

I love that my friends are abandoning the familiar and sprinting towards the unknown, simply because God has asked them to.

During Joshua's transition, the Lord reminded him of a few things...

"The time has come for you to lead these people..." (v. 2)
"I promise you what I promised Moses: 'Wherever you set foot, you will be on land I have given you'" (v. 3)
"No one will be able to stand against you as long as you live. For I will be with you... I will not fail you or abandon you" (v. 5)
"Be strong and courageous, for you are the one who will lead these people..." (v. 6)
"...obey all the instructions Moses gave you" (v. 7)
"Study this Book of Instruction continually. Meditate on it day and night..." (v. 8)
"Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go" (v. 9)

Once God called Joshua into that role, He wanted to make sure that Joshua understood what He expected of him, and that he understood the importance of this position. For the first 9 verses in chapter 1, God leaves nothing out about his new mission. He tells him what he's taking over, He tells him that He will protect him, He tells him not to be afraid, and he tells him how to remain standing strong.

That is all Joshua needed to know. Perhaps at the time, Joshua asked God how he was going to lead the Israelites and what was going to happen, but all the Lord did was leave him with the few things that he needed to know.

Myself and all of my friends know nothing about how things are going to turn out or what steps we're all going to take while in these great callings, but we can rely on God's promises; the things we need to know.

He is faithful. He will protect us. We should not be afraid. And we must constantly study His Word.

It's all Joshua needed, and it's all we need; He walked blindedly believing that he had been called to be Great.

We shall do the same. We will step into these roles, unsure, but confident because we have been called by God.

I am excited to see everything that the Lord does in this new phase of my friends lives. I pray confidently for direction and trust as these people whom I love dearly stand face to face with the unfamiliar. I see incredible greatness in each one of them, and even as things are drastically changing and we can't see the end of the road, our God is fulfilling His plan.

This is you mission, if you chose to accept it.

No comments: