Saturday, November 18, 2006

Light Out Shines darkness

Today is Saturday, November 18, and for a lot of people it's just another regular Saturday. But for other's it's a day to remember loved ones and a day of hope. Today is the 8th annual National Survivors of Suicide Day. The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP) announced November 18th as the National Survivors of Suicide Day in order to reach out to tens of thousands of people who have lost a loved one to suicide, or who have themselves survived attempts of suicide.

AFSP puts on a walk every year called, Out of the Darkness Overnight. This overnight brings together people from all over the country, t help raise money for suicide prevention. This year, it is taking place in New York City. The thousands of people who gather together for this walk, begin walking as the sun goes down, and they walk through the whole night until the sun begins to rise the next morning. This walk symbolizes the hope and light people can see if they walk through their depression [or darkness], even if the darkness never seems to end.


As a former "darkness walker", I want to stress the importance of today... I want to ask that you would stop for just a moment and pray for those who have lost someone to suicide... I want you to give a shout of praise to the LORD for saving people from suicide. I ask that you boldly ask GOD to shed light on those walking in the darkness right now... that they are about to see hope.

Almost 3 years ago I lost one of my best friends to suicide. You don't forget those phone calls... February 26, 2004 I answered my phone only hoping to catch up with the good friend from high school who was calling. But instead she brought me the news that Tim had committed suicide.

It's funny how the enemy works... with the news brought to me about Tim, all of my own pain and darkness from years before resurfaced. I felt nauseous. I suddenly remembered every moment that I attempted to end my own life. I was brought back into the darkness at that moment... satan takes what he can, including the things from your past that you've been healed of, and will twist and turn and distort them in whatever possible way he can, in hopes of pulling you back into that spot. His goal is to take you out... and he certainly tried... but... Light shines brighter than darkness.

GOD saved me from death with His simple words of "I love you", but unfortunately not everyone who was walking in the dark saw the Light at the end... not everyone believed there could be a way out. That's how the enemy works. He lies, telling you there is no hope and darkness will last forever.

My heart goes out to those who have lost a loved one to one of the biggest lies ever spoken by the enemy.

"Out of the darkness"... there is hope... this is a Light.

And to those who have survived... PRAISE GOD. I dance joyfully with you, thanking the LORD for pressing deep into your heart to show you the Truth, and for giving you eyes to see the Light. You are worth it. You are beautiful. You are Loved.
  • In the United states alone, there are an average of 30,000 suicides reported a year.
  • Suicide is the 3rd leading cause of death for people between the ages of 14 and 25
  • A person dies of suicide every 18 minutes
  • A person attempts suicide every minute
  • There are four male suicides for every female suicide, but twice as many females as males attempt suicid
  • Every day, approximately 80 Americans take their own life, and 1,500 more attempt to do so
If you want more information about suicide or what AFSP is doing, check out their site.

The Light will come.

1 comment:

Brigid said...

I just wrote a story about self-harming relating to some cutters I interviewed. I know suicide and self-harm are different, but it's often those same feelings that cause the downward slope of malicious thinking brought on by satan. i'm glad they have a day for this though. people need to not feel isolated, but embraced.