Saturday, July 22, 2006

Prayer Like Never Before

Lately I've been spending more and more time out in the country. From going on random drives, to visiting friends, to simply having dreams, this "country idea" is doing something deep within my heart... but I don't quite know what the complete picture is yet.

The recent weeks I've spent in the Iowan country, I'm not necessarily even doing anything, but I've enjoyed not doing anything more than I could ever explain. I've always been captured by GOD's beauty and loved being in His incredible creation, but I'm also always doing something while I'm in the center of nature. When I was growing up, we'd take family vacations up to Northern California or Colorado, and during those countless trips, I'd always have something to do; go snowboarding, hiking, biking, swimming, build a snowman, climb a tree, snowmobiling, throw rocks at squirrels, go boating... the list goes on...

The second I would find myself plopped back down on the log in front of the campfire or back on the couch in the condo, two words would leave my mouth; "I'm bored."

Don't get me wrong, there is absolutely nothing wrong with having activities to keep yourself busy while in the middle of nowhere, but how many times would I stop, look around, and take in everything around me?

Once? Twice maybe? My activities took front seat to praising GOD while submerged in His own masterpiece.

Over the past 6 years since becoming more serious about my faith, I always make sure to set aside at least an hour of my annual Colorado trip time to sit on top of the mountains and gaze out into the landscape, painting pictures of His craft in my head. Yet, even during those times when all I want to do is be worshiping, my "to do" list plants itself in the front of my mind.

I don't like that I always feel like I have to be doing something. Can't I just sit and not feel rushed? Can't I just sit in His presence without having constant thoughts shoot through my head? In the city (and the suburbs) there is always so much going on around me, it's almost impossible for me to ever just sit and not feel antsy. Even when laying by a pool, the things I "need to get done" enter my mind.

But something is happening within me... and even though I don't know how exactly to explain it, I absolutely love it.

Dreams about sitting in the country while doing nothing but listening won't stop... I'm finding myself purposely driving out into the middle of no where to sit and wait... for what? I don't know yet, but I have some ideas... I'm getting caught up in a beauty that I haven't seen before... having the ability to immerse myself in these random places without distraction and interruption is like nothing I've ever experienced before... all I want to do is sit in a field... weird? Quite possibly, but it's proof to me that He's changing the heart within this messed up flesh.

Just thinking about driving out to the country gets my heart pumping... leaving the chaos of a city looks like gold to me right now...

With all this, I'm being called to take some [insane] steps of faith in my prayer life. Scared? No... terrified.


But it's coming from the LORD, so it's the most beautiful terrified ever.

(He spoke this today... "God answered his prayer, and the angel of God appeared once again to his wife as she was sitting in the field...")

No comments: