Tuesday, May 23, 2006

MuteMath

I'm sure anyone and everyone who loves music has those few specific bands/artists that they would love to talk to and hang out with.

Well, over the weekend I was lucky enough to hang out with one of my favorite bands; MuteMath. This was way exciting for me, and honestly it's probably a moment in my life that I'm never going to forget. Sure, famous people are just like everyone else, but there's just something about getting to meet people that you admire and really respect because of what they do. I'm no musician and I'm not inspired by them to go make my own cd, but simply because of the performance they give, where their hearts are in their music, and their creativity, arises something up within me.

I found out about a month ago that my friend Vince's band, fromLove, was going to be opening for MuteMath. Even though the show was in Grand Rapids Michigan (9 hours from Des Moines), I still decided to go. Watch my friend play and then my favorite band? Of course.

I had to bring a bass amp to the show for Vince, so I ended up getting to Grand Rapids at 3:30 in the afternoon (3.5 hours before the show started). During this time I sat outside in the back of the building with the guys of fromLove and watched the different bands go back and forth brining their equipment inside. I don't think I get star struck easily, but I just felt weird being surrounded by all these people who I hear on the radio and see on TV.

Finally I went inside to watch the show... fromLove did awesome, discovered a couple of new bands I really liked, got a couple drinks, and at one point turned around and Greg (the guitarist from MuteMath) was standing right by me. It was weird...

If you haven't heard of MuteMath or haven't seen them live, and you enjoy the industrial/experimental type music, check 'em out. They're incredible. This show was hands down, THE BEST SHOW I have EVER been to. Their energy is insane, the lead singer plays the keytar, the drummer ductapes his headphones on because he headbangs so much, the drummer also broke (no joke) about 20 drum sticks throughout the whole performance, the lead singer ran out into the audience, they make their own instruments... etc. I've never been so captured by a performance before in my life. Plus, the lyrics to all of their songs speak directly to the heart about the greatest Lover of all time. No doubt about it, I see Him in these guys as they share their talent.



So after the show, everyone got kicked out of the... bar/arena?... but because I was "with the band" (fromLove that is) I somehow got to stay. I then proceeded to go backstage with Vince and his band mates to ask them if they'd want to go hang out at Denny's. During this time I got a picture with the drummer Darren (picture above), and started talking with the guitarist, Greg. Myself, Vince, and Greg stood outside in the cold talking about life and music for about half an hour... where Greg gave me one of his picks and then put his jacket on me to wear... I felt like such a girl! I was wearing his jacket...

The rest of MuteMath and fromLove joined us, where we proceeded to Denny's. Since they only had their tour bus, I got to drive Paul Meany (the lead singer) and his wife to the restaurant... now THAT was weird. I admit that I was way nervous because I had this amazing musician in my car and was trying to figure out what music to put on... it was a big decision! Plus, then talking with him for the 20 minute drive was also intimidating...

Overall, I had an amazing time. These guys were exactly what I thought they'd be... super nice, so funny, and each have a heart to reach people and talk about faith with their music. They certainly know that He's given them a gift and they are called to use it to change hearts.

So if/when you ever get to hang out with your favorite band, even when you can keep your cool, inside you may be freaking out, but just go with it. It could be your one time to talk with them. Enjoy it and have fun.

No comments: